Hourlies are small pre-packaged jobs that can be delivered for a fixed price within a few days (a maximum of 5 days). In essence an Hourlie is an ‘Express job’ which is a great way to showcase your services and attract new Buyers who can try you out on a smaller piece of work. Over 40% of Hourlie sales lead to larger follow-on work!
Hourlies aren’t just for "traditional" services such as proofreading or designing logos. You can offer anything you like (within our guidelines!) so if you can teach cake decorating or self defense why not create an Hourlie for that!
Before you post your Hourlie
Take a good look at the top selling Hourlies on PPH to see how those Sellers are marketing their services. Other than the actual description and images used in their Hourlies, think about how Sellers with similar services to you are "packaging" their services in a bitesize Hourlie form. Remember that Hourlies are "express" jobs delivered within a maximum of 5 days so don't promise you can "Develop a website" or similar!
If your services normally require far longer than 5 days then think about what kind of taster package you can offer. A large percentage of Hourlie sales go on and lead to much larger custom Jobs with Buyers so it is a great way to acquire new Buyers. However, if you really can't market your services in an express job format then Hourlies are not the right selling channel for you, instead you can win work on PPH by building a stellar Profile so that Buyers contact you directly for work, and by submitting proposals on Jobs.
Posting an Hourlie
- Select Post an Hourlie under the Sell Services menu
- Begin by giving your Hourlie a catchy title that will grab the attention of Buyers and summarises the service you are offering.
- Add a detailed and clear description outlining exactly what the Buyer will receive. Try including a list of all relevant information, for example: amount of revisions, word count, file types/size and mention anything that you require the Buyer to send to you before commencing work.
- Don't forget in your description to really sell yourself and highlight your USP (unique selling point). Make it clear to Buyers what is special about your service, for example your expertise / experience (and make sure your Profile is up to date), your customer service etc.
- Upload some good quality, original (avoid stock images) and appropriate images that visually enhance your Hourlie and illustrates at a glance what service you are offering (where possible use examples of your previous work) and adheres to our Hourlies posting policies.
- Make sure to specify the maximum number of days you would be able to deliver your Hourlie service within, once you have received your Buyer's requirements, so that Buyer's have clear expectations when they purchase your Hourlie.
- When you set your price bear in mind that it must be a fixed price (not per hour) for the delivery of the service and should be inclusive of any tax/ VAT applicable to you. This price is the total amount that the Buyer will pay for your Hourlie service upfront as a deposit in Escrow; and when you have delivered your service and raised an invoice the Buyer will confirm releasing this money to you.